Achieve Your Desired Look with Top Surgery in Ohio
Transgender Top Surgery Overview
Top surgery is a reconstructive surgical procedure designed for transgender individuals seeking to enhance features of their chests. For Female-to-Male (FTM) patients, this involves reshaping the breast into an overall masculine appearance. On the other hand, during Male-to-Female (MTF) surgery, the chest is augmented to develop a more feminine body contour. Transgender top surgery allows patients to fully embrace their authentic, beautiful selves.
With 30 years of combined experience, Dr. Ergun Kocak, Dr. Pankaj Tiwari, and Dr. Santosh Kale are proud to be among the most sought-after top surgeons in Ohio. We perform hundreds of gender reassignment surgery procedures annually, welcoming both Ohio residents as well as out-of-state patients from Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and more. Schedule your top surgery consultation with Ohio’s leading board-certified plastic surgeons now!
Insurance Coverage and Cost
Our team of expert Ohio top surgeons will gladly work with your current insurance provider to cover the expenses for gender affirming surgery. We will submit a pre-authorization request immediately after your initial consultation.
Midwest Breast & Aesthetic Surgery accepts all major credit cards, personal checks, and third-party financing through CareCredit.
Who is an Ideal Candidate for Gender Affirmation Top Surgery?
Our caring and compassionate team is here to support patients who are interested in transgender top surgery, and we provide guidance and clarity on questions you may have, such as MTF or FTM top surgery requirements. The ideal candidates for top surgery are patients who have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria and have already begun the transitioning process, with or without hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Additionally, candidates must be:
- Under the care of an experienced licensed mental health provider
- Are close to their ideal body weight
- Are not currently using tobacco
Types of Top Surgeries Performed
MTF Top Surgery
MTF top surgery gives the chest a feminine look using breast implants and fat grafting procedures. It will take 2-3 hours under general anesthesia and is considered an outpatient procedure; you will be discharged to go home once cleared by your doctors.
- The surgeon makes an incision under the breast crease, armpit, or areola.
- Breast implants are inserted under the breast muscle tissue.
- The surgeon will determine the appropriate implant size, shape, and placement based on the patient’s anatomy and goals.
- Fat grafting may be used to add volume and create a more natural shape and feel.
- Final results will create a more defined feminine body contour.
FTM Top Surgery
The goal of FTM top surgery is to create a masculine chest by removing breast tissue and excess skin. The surgery takes approximately 2-3 hours to complete under general anesthesia. Since it is considered an outpatient procedure, you will be able to go home the same day once cleared for discharge by your doctors.
- The surgeon makes an incision using one of various techniques: at the base of the chest, around the areola, or a single incision in the middle of the chest.
- Breast tissue is removed, breast skin is reshaped, and the nipples and areolas will be repositioned and resized (if necessary).
- In some cases, liposuction is used to recontour the chest and create a more masculine appearance.
Top Surgery Recovery Timeline
Overall, top surgery recovery time will be around 4-6 weeks. During this time, it is vital to wear a compression garment and avoid heavy lifting or strenuous activities. Drains and surgical dressings around the nipples may or may not be used. Your first follow-up appointment with our doctors will take place within the first week, and you may return to work after two weeks.
- We will remove your drain tubes.
- Your bandages and dressings will be changed.
- Moderate discomfort, swelling, and bruising is expected.
- Take short walks to promote circulation.
- Avoid lifting your arms over your head.
- Wear a compression vest to minimize swelling.
- Stitches may be removed.
- You should begin arm stretching exercises.
- Your swelling will continue to go down.
- You may return to work if it’s not too strenuous.
- Most swelling has subsided.
- Numbness and tightness improve.
- Incision lines soften and fade.
- You can resume light cardio exercise.
- Notify your surgeon if one side looks bigger than the other.
- Final results become visible as residual swelling resolves.
- Sensation continues to improve.
- It is okay to sleep on your stomach.
- You can resume weight lifting and more strenuous activity.
Top Surgery Results: Before & After
Results from top surgery are immediately visible. However, it may take 3-6 months before your final results settle. Scars will turn white and fade over time. Most patients experience life-changing and satisfying results, providing them with a renewed sense of self-confidence, a decrease in overall gender dysphoria, and a physical shape that best matches their preferred gender.
Frequently Asked Questions About FTM Top Surgery
What will my incisions look like?
We do try to minimize the incisions to produce a natural-looking result. However, this will depend on several factors, such as the amount of breast tissue, the condition of the breast skin, nipple position, and areola size. Our surgeons will discuss this in greater detail at the time of your consultation.
Can this be done in one operation?
Generally, the surgery will be performed in a single stage under general anesthesia. It may take several weeks or months for the final result to become apparent, and at that time, small touch-ups may be required.
What are the requirements for the surgery?
We generally wait until adulthood before proceeding with surgery. Furthermore, we recommend having been evaluated by a mental health professional who can adequately diagnose gender dysphoria, treat any existing mental health concerns, and facilitate the decision to undergo surgery. Additionally, for any individual who is in the process of transitioning, we recommend having had a stable time living as a member of your desired gender and regular usage of hormone therapy (if applicable).
Will my nipples have sensation after surgery?
Generally, the sensation to the nipple, areola, and the chest skin will be altered after the procedure. Over time, the sensation may return, but this will be dependent on the starting size of your current breasts, the amount of skin over the breast, the position of the nipple, and the size of the areola before surgery. Our surgeons will discuss this with you further at the time of your consultation.
Can you tell me how to find a surgeon for top surgery?
With 30 years of combined expertise in gender affirmation surgery, Dr. Ergun Kocak, Dr. Pankaj Tiwari, and Dr. Santosh Kale are among the most experienced and trusted top surgeons in Ohio. Our team performs hundreds of successful gender reassignment procedures each year, and we take pride in providing personalized care and achieving results that empower our patients on their transition journey.
*The information available on this page was created to educate our patients. It is not an alternative for a formal consultation with a board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon. Individual results vary per patient. For more information, we strongly recommend scheduling a consultation with our doctors.