Ergun Kocak, MD
Dr. Ergun Kocak is a board-certified plastic surgeon specializing in advanced aesthetic and reconstructive surgeries of the breast and body. He is fellowship-trained in microvascular reconstruction and performs over 200 DIEP and other microvascular free flap breast reconstructions yearly. He also specializes in aesthetic operations of the breast including breast reduction, and breast lift (mastopexy).
After graduating from the University of Michigan with Honors, Dr. Kocak went on to complete medical school at The Ohio State University College of Medicine.
Dr. Kocak continued his training by completing his plastic surgery residency at The Ohio State University Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio. During this time, he completed a Research Fellowship and earned a Masters of Sciences degree in Medical Sciences from The Ohio State University’s Graduate School. After residency, he further specialized by completing a fellowship in reconstructive microsurgery and cancer reconstruction at the esteemed M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas.
Career and Accomplishments
Before starting his current practice, Dr. Kocak spent several years working in major academic medical centers, including:
- Clinical Instructor at The Ohio State University Medical Center in Columbus, Ohio (2000-2008)
- Clinical Specialist and Microsurgery Fellow in the Division of Plastic Surgery at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas (2008-2009)
- Assistant professor and Attending Surgeon in the Department of Plastic Surgery at the Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio (2009-2014)
During his tenure at these prestigious institutions, Dr. Kocak authored dozens of scientific and clinical research papers which have been published in peer-reviewed medical journals. He has also been invited to speak at symposiums across the United States and Internationally.
In 2013, he co-founded Midwest Breast & Aesthetic Surgery with Dr. Pankaj Tiwari. This was to make the full range of plastic and reconstructive procedures, including micro-surgical procedures such as the DIEP flap, more accessible to access and more available to patients who were looking for more personalized care. Today, MBAS proudly has offices across central and southern Ohio and provides its advanced services to patients from the entire Midwest and beyond.
Dr. Kocak Videos
Honors and Awards
- Highest Patient Satisfaction Rating, Wexner Medical Center at The Ohio State University
- Excellence in Teaching Award. College of Medicine, The Ohio State University (2012)
- Distinguished Undergraduate Research Mentor Award Nominee. Undergraduate
- Research Office. The Ohio State University (2011 and 2010)
- Highest Patient Satisfaction Rating, Ohio State University Medical Center, The Ohio State University (2011)
- Alumni Award for Distinguished Teaching Nominee. Office of Academic Affairs. The
Ohio State University (2010)
- First Place Resident Research Competition. American College of Surgeons Ohio
- First Place Annual Meeting. Ohio Valley Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (2005)
- First Place Annual Presidential Symposium. The Columbus Surgical Society (2005)
- First Place Annual Resident Research Conference. The Ohio State University, Department of Surgery, The Ohio State University (2005)
- Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Honors Society. The Ohio State University (2003)
- NCI/NIH T32 National Research Service Award (2003)
- Cancer Research Fellowship Award. American Cancer Society (2002)
- The Carey Award in Surgery. The Ohio State University College of Medicine (2000)
Consult with Dr. Kocak Today
Dr. Ergun Kocak approaches every patient with a desire to make them aware of all of their surgical options. He is committed to guiding them to make educated decisions about surgery. All of the physicians of Midwest Breast & Aesthetic Surgery take great pride in the personal level care they offer their patients and look forward to serving you. Schedule your consultation today.
- M.D., The Ohio State University
- M.S., The Ohio State University
- B.S., University of Michigan
- Reconstructive Microsurgery Fellowship, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Cancer Reconstruction Fellowship, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Plastic Surgery Residency, The Ohio State University Medical Center
- Masters of Sciences, The Ohio State University Graduate School
- ASPS – American Society of Plastic Surgery
- ABPS – American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Plastic Surgery Research Council
- Ohio Valley Society of Plastic Surgery
- Columbus Society of Plastic Surgery
- The Ohio State University, Department of Plastic Surgery – Assistant Professor
- The Ohio State University, Department of Plastic Surgery – Attending Surgeon
- MD Anderson Cancer Center, Division of Plastic Surgery – Clinical Specialist
- The Ohio State University, Department of Plastic Surgery – Clinical Instructor/House Staff
*The information available on this page was created to educate our patients. It is not an alternative for a formal consultation with a board-certified plastic and reconstructive surgeon. Individual results vary per patient. For more information, we strongly recommend scheduling a consultation with our doctors.