Many women eligible for breast reconstruction following cancer surgery are not being informed of their options. All women should know their options.
- 7 out of 10 women are not aware of their breast reconstruction options following mastectomy
- 95, 589 breast reconstruction procedures were performed in the US in 2013.
- 69, 312 breast reconstruction procedures using silicone implants in 2013.
- 89% of women would want to see what breast reconstruction results look like before making a treatment decision
- 92% worth it rating according to Realself community members.
- The Women’s Health and Cancer Rights Act of 1998 requires health insurers to cover breast reconstruction costs following mastectomy in all 50 states.
- October 15, 2014 – National Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day